Frequency Community Forum

Welcome to our community. We have one rule: Be excellent to each other.

Using CBRS for IoT?

IOT For All published this article on CBRS and IoT recently which provides a good overview of CBRS and LoRa.

The conclusion is that we’ll see IoT devices being one of many high priority services that will connect via CBRS private mobile networks. The expectation being that IoT will use private mobile networks without being a primary driver of their adoption.

This is going to be dependent on the availability of energy efficient wireless modules that support Band 48 of course and we see new modules coming to market every week.

Will you be advising clients to move IoT devices to CBRS? Or do you expect to use LoRa/CBRS gateways?

I suspect as CBRS becomes more available - that some IoT devices (security, controllers, HVAC, EMS) will be classified as “essential operations/sensitive” which will push manufactures to secure and assure their IoT device communications with CBRS. Not to mention the ease of deploy coverage wise comparing to 802.11. This will have some cost implications - but sometimes these costs can be offset by not having to install and provide 802.11 access in outdoor locations.
I see CBRS as an enabling technology for the various digitization and digital transformation and business critical IoT devices will start migrating to the CBRs platform.

1 Like

The answer is “it depends”. LoRaWAN is really positioned as a 2G/3G replacement and the real value is for ultra-low payload sizes and where latency is not a concern. Battery life is a top priority for LoRaWAN. I can see LoRaWAN gateways leveraging CBRS for packet forwarder backhaul if it is already being deployed for other use cases. Perhaps we will see NB-IoT included in future releases of the 3GPP standard deployed on CBRS? Industrial controls and Utilities use cases will see the greatest dividends paid in the form of low-latency micro-sliced transports not possible with WiFi.

1 Like